Now that you’ve taken some time to reflect on what areas in your life are in need of some sprucing, its time to figure out the how. Today, let’s figure out a plan to increase the chances of success in your spring cleaning venture.
First, we have to figure out what activities will increase your satisfaction with a given domain. Below you’ll find a list of 3 domains along with some ideas of things to incorporate into your daily routine. This isn’t an exhaustive list, but rather meant to get the wheels turning. I’ll be posting the last 4 domains on Wednesday, April 5.
This doesn’t have to be just about getting fit or building muscles. Sometimes the act of simply incorporating movement is enough for our bodies to function better and our minds to feel more settled.
- Get a yearly check up – health starts by knowing where you stand with blood tests, weight, blood pressure, etc. And make sure to check with your doctor that exercise is safe for you
- Try cooking at home and incorporating more plant-based foods into your diet
- Make sure you are drinking enough water and getting enough sleep – basics count!
- Decrease or eliminate drug and alcohol usage
- At home workouts – try Blogilates or Pinterest workouts!
- Going to a gym
- Buying a kettle bell or weights, new or used work!
- Walking or running outside (free!)
- Taking a yoga class in a studio or in your own home – try YouTube
- Stretching (with or without assorted equipment)
Surrounding yourself with a healthy and reliable support system is critical to overall wellness. When building in social activities, make sure you are reaching out to others who support your goals, respect your journey, and are willing to listen to you (without necessary trying to problem solve or give advice!).
- Make a list of people you’d like to maintain or increase your relationship/friendship with and then set up a weekly, bi-weekly or monthly schedule to see each person for coffee, a walk, or other activity. Friendship doesn’t have to cost money!
- Spend a day exploring your city with a friend, or drive to another city/town and check out activities available there
- See if your city/town has a listing of free or low-cost events and invite a friend or a group of people to attend an event with you
- Plan a potluck with friends to watch a movie at home or do a popcorn bar – pop some corn and put out bowls of toppings like vegan butter and chocolate chips, chipotle powder, salt and pepper, vegan caramel, etc.
- Check out Pinterest for other free or low-cost ideas to do with friends!
This may not be obvious to all – but emotional wellness can often be rudder for our overall wellness. Bottling up emotions and ignoring the body’s wisdom is like getting in the fast lane to disaster. Instead, try incorporating rituals to take care of your emotional health everyday – not just when your at your breaking point.
- Meditation – try the apps Breathe (Free!) or Headspace ($), or a quick search on Pinterest (can you tell I love Pinterest??)
- Aromatherapy – lavender scented EVERYTHING
- Put affirmations around your home – and when you see one, pause to read it aloud
- Develop a tool kit (literal or metaphorical) to help tackle particularly hard days – and be gentle with yourself if even your best coping skills don’t make things better
- Journal – if you don’t want to talk it out, try writing about your experiences, how they have impacted you and in what ways they have changed your life
- Mindful Coloring – theres a gazillion coloring books for every taste
- Talk with friends or family about your concerns or things you are struggling with to gain another perspective – but choose wisely, because it doesn’t help to feel like someone is putting you down or just trying to give you advice. Being heard is more important than solving the issue (unless its seriously harmful to you)
- Find a therapist, clinician, social worker – you can try calling your health insurance, going through your primary care physician or community health center, or trying a locator service like this one.
3 down, 4 to go! Check back in on Wednesday for the remaining 4 domains! And feel free to add on other recommendations below!